Saturday, July 7, 2012

Our First West Coast Crochet Connection Meet Up

Today was the first meet up with members of my group "The Crochet Chronicles." I was really excited to meet up with other crochet "Superheros" who share the same interest in the art of crochet. There were six of us and we really had a good time talking and learning about crocheting. 
I had the opportunity of meeting Julie, who is a Facebook friend and a member of one of the other crochet groups I belong to. She brought some of the earrings that she made and I must say she is "the bomb" (do they still say that??) Her work is very creative and colorful and I am dying to have her teach me how to make earrings. She had the prettiest purple pieces that she had made with crochet thread and soda can tops and let me tell you, I could just imagine myself rocking them as earrings. I am so glad that she came and met up with us. I want to see more of her wonderful work.
Earrings created by Julie Ridge

Another one of the group members, Piper was also in attendance. She has been crocheting for some years but decided to get back into it. She brought with her a throw for her sofa that she is crocheting and I really love the colors she is using. She was also interested in learning how to make the customized flip flops so I gave her a quick lesson on how to make them and she caught on with no problems and had completed one shoe before we parted for the day. One of the other members, Alica also taught Piper how to make a bow for her flip flops and I must say she did an excellent job.

Piper Elam making her first pair of customized flip flops

 Another member whom I had the pleasure of meeting for the first time was LaSann, she is also an experienced crocheter and she was ready to learn how to customize flip flops too, but she had a pair of wedge heel sandals that she wanted to "Remix" so I put together a quick pattern for her to follow and within minutes she taken a pair of shoes and made them her own creation. She wanted to customize her shoes to go with an outfit she had and she did it with no problem at all. I cannot wait until she has completed her project so I can see it. I know it will look fabulous.


Not only is Alicia a group member, but we used to be co-workers a few years back and then she became my customer. She told me she watched how my hands moved when I crochet and then after seeing a lady crocheting at the doctors office it sparked a desire in her to learn how to crochet. This young lady has been crocheting for only 6 months and let me tell you her work looks like she has spent a many of years crocheting. I don't think anyone can believe she is a newby to the art of crochet. I know in my heart of hearts that this was a God given talent that was just waiting for the right time to surface up. I am truly proud of her and the work she has created in such a short time.
Bikini with matching hat & Swag Bag by Alicia Parker



Then, last but not least is Cheryl. Cheryl is another member of the group who is a crocheter but she would like to broaden her skills. We as a group are going to assist Cheryl with starting and finishing a project. I am going to work closely with her thru patterns and tutorial videos because I know she has the ability to create anything that she puts her mind to. We all will make sure she learns how to use her "super powers" like the rest of the crochet superheros around.

This meeting meant a lot to me because it allowed me to take part in interesting conversation with others who were not only willing to listen to what I had to say about the craft that brings me so much peace and joy, but willing to converse and share their thoughts and feelings about their craft as well. It is a true blessing when God puts positive people in your life and when those positive people share the same love and talent that you have then that is the cherry on top!

Thank you ladies for such a wonderful afternoon. You gave me motivation to work toward my goals and I hope I am a motivation to you, and if I am then I will work extra hard toward the goal of continuing to be motivational to you and others like you. Keep up the excellent work!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. It is very admirable of you to start the crocheting club MeetUp in your area. The exchange of information and skills is priceless. The crochet projects are awesome. You have inspired me to create the customized flip flops, and the bikini with matching bag. Do you think you can post the patterns for the projects too?

    ReplyDelete